HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!
Grab Bag What-ka!:
Just the kind of cleaning tips Dad would want….
Great tips on using VODKA as a household helper found on Greatist.com:
- Make Everything Smell Sparkly Clean: Take it from us, drinking vodka won’t get rid of all life’s problems. Vodka can, however, get rid of unwanted odors around the house. Lightly spray a vodka/water mixture on fabrics and then let dry to get rid of musky smells. Feet smelling a little less than fresh? Soak them in a mixture of vodka and warm water for a few minutes to kill off the bacteria and fungus that cause odor. Also, finally take care of those constantly smelly gym shoes once and for all by liberally spraying them with vodka and then drying in the open air (this author’s personal favorite remedy for shoe smells).
- A Cheap Goo-Be-Gone: Gunk from sticky bandages, band aids, sticker residue, or the remnants of last night’s beer glass — vodka can handle them all. To get rid of leftover adhesive, simply pour vodka on the sticky area and let sit for a few minutes, then gentle scrub off whatever’s left behind.
- A Better Pie Crust: Use vodka instead of water when rolling dough for piecrusts. Vodka will naturally evaporate more compared to water when baking at a normal level. Less liquid means a flakier, crispier crust. (There might still be a little alcohol left behind but hey, we’re not judging.)
- DIY Reusable Ice Pack: Put equal parts vodka and water in a sealable plastic back, then throw the whole thing in the freezer. When a bump or bruise strikes, pull out the semi-solid mixture. The vodka will keep the contents from freezing entirely, giving the pack a slushy, malleable texture perfect for applying in a pinch.
- Make Your Own Mouthwash: Tired of Listerine? Make your own mouthwash by adding a few tablespoons of cinnamon, a few drops of tea oil, or some spearmint to vodka in a sealed container and let soak for two weeks. Strain through a coffee filter and use as a normal mouthwash.
Grab Bag Eat Ripe!:
Do you ever buy delicious-looking produce in the market, only to be disappointed when you bite into that flavorless, rock-hard plum? Here is a great infographic from visualnews.com that shows when produce will be at its natural best in the northern hemisphere (sorry, AUZ… maybe there’s something out there for you?)
Click on the images below to link to large, full-sized graphics:
Grab Bag Home Wares:
A small offering of some fun, useful and/or random things for the home…
NICE IDEA FOR A PATIO TABLE
GREAT UNDER STAIR STORAGE
MUCH BETTER THAN KITCHEN COUNTER WALL PLUGS
Grab Bag WOW Moment:
A captivating 5 minutes spent watching these people who are VERY good at what they do. To get that feeling like you’re “there” (God forbid), click the full-screen button in the lower right corner of the player.
Grab Bag Brain Game:
The classic word search, made more tense with a timer:
Grab Bag Funny Stuff:
Out of the mouths of babes….