Grab Bag “Toxies” Vote:
What is the grossest, scariest or most hated chemical in YOUR world? You can learn all about the nominees and vote on the People’s Choice for “bad actor chemical” found in our everyday lives when the Second Annual Toxie Awards streams on the internet June 16th.
Hit the button in the lower right corner of the player to see the nominees and read their bios in Full Screen mode.
Grab Bag Lights Out on Fat:
Ohio State University research in animals shows that exposure to any light at night … even dim lighting… results in increased body mass and possible pre-diabetes. The findings were significant.
Mice kept in dim lighting gained 50% more body mass in 8 weeks than those mice kept in darkness. Researchers believe the extra light at night may have altered the mice’s levels of melatonin — a hormone known to influence metabolism.
Grab Bag Banish the BO:
Dr. Andrew Weil suggests these good tips to battle the odor issues…. antiperspirants are NOT the way to go… the chemicals involved applied to a gland-filled area ‘neath your arms is asking for trouble. Consider these:
- Splash rubbing alcohol under your arms to reduce bacteria.
- Stimulant drugs, including caffeine, contribute to body odor by increasing the activity of apocrine sweat glands, special glands in hairy parts of the body that produce strong-smelling, musky secretions. Try eliminating caffeine if body odor continues to be a problem.
- Most commercial underarm products contain irritating or harmful ingredients, including aluminum salts and dyes. Avoid the antiperspirant varieties – you can find better deodorant-only products in health food stores, such as those containing extracts of green tea, which is antibacterial.
- If you buy “natural crystals,” make sure they do not contain aluminum in any form.
Grab Bag Good Driver Reward:
You haven’t had a ticket or an accident in years. You’re SUCH a safe driver.
That may describe a lot of you. If it does…. read on. If not (and I can think of a few of you…. not naming names… I’m just sayin’…) you can probably skip this one 🙂
Many insurance companies have touted a (small) “good driver” discount, but it is the same for everyone who meets generalized criteria, and is based on broad data, not on YOU.
That is changing, my friends.
Progressive, the nation’s third largest auto insurance company, is launching Snapshot.
A device the size of a deck of cards is installed in your car for 6 months. It records speed, hard braking and acceleration and miles driven. It does NOT, however, record any locations via GPS (they figured, wisely, that consumers wouldn’t like a Big Brother under the dashboard).
The resulting data is transmitted to Progressive, and a (hopefully ) lower insurance rate is granted based upon your driving habits.
Others are making similar offers. Allstate’s program/tracking device is called Drivewise.
GMAC uses the on-board system of OnStar to deliver their data and rate calculations.
So drive like a granny and party like a rock star with all the $$ you save.
Grab Bag Wow Moment:
Back in 2009 I posted a video of Danny MacAskill. In the interim Danny has upped his game, to be sure. An amazing new video from an extraordinary talent. Enjoy to the fullest by clicking on the “Full Screen” button in the lower right corner of the video frame:
Thanks for Pat M. for sending this in.
Grab Bag Produce Clean Up:
In the wake of the European e. coli outbreak, we all are thinking a bit more carefully about our fruits and veggies. The FDA recommends these procedures when cleaning and preparing produce:
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap before and after preparing fresh produce
- Cut away any damaged or bruised areas
- Gently rub produce while holding it under plain running water
- Wash produce before you peel it
- Use a clean vegetable brush to scrub firm produce
- Dry produce with a clean cloth or paper towel
- Throw away the outermost leaves of a head of lettuce or cabbage
Grab Bag Brain Game:
See if you can control the direction and speed of the car to get it into the designated parking spot. Harder than it looks…..
Grab Bag Funny Stuff:
The Pentagon announced TODAY the formation of a new 500-man elite fighting unit called the United States Redneck Special Forces (USRSF).
These boys will be dropped off in Afghanistan and have been given only the following facts about terrorists:
1. The season opened today.
2. There is no limit.
3. They taste just like chicken.
4. They don’t like beer, pickups, country music or Jesus.
5. They are directly responsible for the death of Dale Earnhardt.
The Pentagon expects the problem in Afghanistan to be over by Friday.