Grab Bag Olive Oil News:
More info on what belongs in your healthy pantry, and HOW it should reside in that pantry…
Dr. Rudi Moerck, a PhD in organic chemistry and former NIH fellow at Ohio State University shares some eye opening research he has performed on oils. Here’s the short version:
1. Olive Oil is a really healthy oil (that’s not news).
2. It doesn’t need to be Extra Virgin Olive Oil (that IS news).
3. EVOO has more chlorophyll (hence that green tinge), which accelerates oxidation and BREAKS DOWN (i.e., reduces its health benefits) FASTER.
4. Buy olive oil in a small bottle (no big volume containers, a la Costco).
5. Keep it in a dark cupboard.
6. Replace the cap immediately whenever you aren’t pouring it. Oxygen exposure enhances more oxidative breakdown.
7. To REALLY get the lowdown on the breakdown of your oil, buy the supplement astaxanthin or lutein in soft gel capsules, pierce one with a pin (careful… if you get the astaxanthin on your hands they may be red for a week… lutein is orange) and add one drop to your bottle of olive oil. Both of these supplements are powerful antioxidants that will protect your olive oil from degrading. The red or orange color will diminish as the oxidative process consumes the astaxanthin or lutein. When the red or orange color is gone from your olive oil, you should throw your oil away. Vitamin E would work, too, but you would have no color marker to show how healthy your olive oil is.
Grab Bag Getaway 2:
Last week we learned just what IS The Point. And like The Point, I will say right up front, this little train stop will set you back more than a few farthings. But it’s a once-in-a-life thing, so …. you deserve it!
This week, we’ll double our pleasure at Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont.
A STUNNING 3½ hour drive from The Point, Twin Farms is another jaw-dropping stop.
Grab Bag Yummy Skin Tips:
Here is a list of ten foods to eat OFTEN (here you can summise that these should TAKE THE PLACE of other, less healthy nutrition options) for beautiful skin. And I am here to give my testimony that green tea (5-6 cups every day) and berries (daily -1.5 C with a couple Tbsp. organic plain yogurt, splash of pomegranate juice and some cinnamon) along with some great changes in skin care, have improved my skin… even my NECK 😯
Crepe paper to satin, baby. Oh, ya.
Full article is here with all the hows and whys…… I’ll give you the Cliffs Notes:
3. Dark Chocolate
4. Green Tea
5. Mackeral (those Catholic girls knew) Salmon, Sardines and Fresh Tuna
7. Pomegranate Fruit and Juice
Grab Bag Skin Special:
So… regarding number 3 above, just wanted to share a REALLY yummy offering for that Dark Chocolate antioxidant boost:
But remember, kids… it only works if we play by the rules. Here’s the size of your daily dose:
Grab Bag List Maker:
Full Disclosure… if you don’t want to look at or shop for fairly (and sometimes very) expensive stuff, move along… these aren’t the droids you’re looking for.
Here’s an uh-oh…..
While we’re in the mode of devil-may-care expenditures, I just had to share this site. They have a HUGE range of jewelry, both affordable and … not-so-much.
Think “The Tudors” meets Tiffany.
Throw in shoes, designer vintage clothing, art, antiques, handbags and more, and it’s almost enough to make me want to visit the store in Kansas City, Missouri. Yes, you read that right. But all is available in the comfort of your own slippies and PJ’s, thanks to their SPECTACULAR photos online.
Christmas is coming, my friends. Something here just might fit on your list 🙂
Grab Bag Chip off the Old Auto:
OK… time to get more practical. Heard some really good things about this system… in a few minutes your car could look WAY better:
Grab Bag Brain Game:
Identify each of 10 states by silhouette
Grab Bag Cute Stuff:
Just. Too. Cute.