Grab Bag Shout Out:
The end of August is here, school’s rolling back into session, and TWO things are looming on the horizon which bring great joy to me….
1. COLLEGE FOOTBALL
If you haven’t ever taken part in this, please take my advice and buy tickets to at least one game at the closest large college you can find. Even if you don’t love football, the enthusiasm and emotion is palpable. It’s not often we can tap into the energy of tens of thousands of people. The big bands, the do-or-die fans, the mascots, the pranks, the rivalries, the sportsmanship, the athleticism, the traditions, the youth, the hope… that’s why I love college football. Consider yourself jump-started for the fall if you get the opportunity to go.
2. The return of HONEYCRISP APPLES!!
I made a few cases from the fall last until early spring this year (yes, that is one of the amazing aspects of this apple… its longevity), but that was April and my mouth is watering now as I anticipate next month’s Honeycrisps flowing into markets. If the mere mention of Honeycrisp is new to you, dear reader, please enter it into the Search box at the top of this blog to see past praises and amazing history of a very special fruit.
All Hail Honeycrisp!
Grab Bag Brainy Stuff #1:
Back to school time brings thoughts of brainier matter… so this week that is where the emphasis dwells…
I was purging my email the other night and ran across this story that my dear sister-in-law sent to me back in FEBRUARY. I apologize for the lag… because this is QUITE COOL. It takes very little time, can be performed anywhere you can stand (or, more accurately, squat) and MAY JUST HAVE some pretty amazing results, according to some wise folks here.
It certainly complies with my #1 Rule: If it can’t hurt to try it, try it.
I’m starting it tomorrow morning:
Grab Bag Brainy Stuff #2:
Here are some other great ideas to stimulate brain function:
• Walk backwards, and do it uphill and downhill too (this has the added benefit of stimulating new muscle sequencing in your gait as well).
• Brush your teeth, pour your coffee, brush your hair – all with your non-dominant hand.
• Change your arm swing as you walk, swinging same leg and arm forward as you walk. Keep it going… it’s hard at first.
• Write backward with your dominant hand. !siht ekiL
(side note: anytime you need backwards type, go here)
• Hold a pen/pencil in both hands and “mirror” what you write, writing forward with your dominant hand and backward with your non-dominant hand. Righties will start in the middle of the paper and move out, lefties will start at the edges of the paper and write inward.
• ¡spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɹʇ ɹo
(side note #2: anytime you need upside down, backwards type, go here. I told you last week … I’ve reached the end of the internet)
Grab Bag iPhone App Recommendation:
This one is so cool…. and free!
This app uses your current location, then tells you what is, well, around you! Specify a category (restaurants, gas stations, banks, theaters, supermarkets, parking… yadda, yadda, yadda) and see your immediate area mapped and pinpointed. Tap a pin, up pops the address and phone number, tap the number and you’re calling the establishment. So nice when you find yourself beyond your own well-tracked ‘hood.
Grab Bag Lucky Days:
Let’s hope we all get this lucky when we need it…..Vodpod videos no longer available.
Many thanks to reader Corinna G. for passing this on 🙂
Grab Bag Brain Game:
Read the directions… some trial and error will help clarify as well…
Grab Bag Funny Stuff:
Some favorite excerpts from TextsFromLastNight.com, a website that delights in gathering and sharing submissions from folks who have sent or received text messages that bring a smile, if not a full on LOL. On some of these, call me crazy, but I’m guessing alcohol may have been involved:
- update… expensive tequila only makes the mistakes more expensive.
- I have absolutely nothing sober to say to you.
- I threw a jar of pickles out the window at a police car, why was that not a good enough reason to put me to bed?
- There I was staring at a teeny weeny black one and a huge white one. It was like an episode of Myth Busters
- my mouth tastes like poor choices
- your brother is wearing shin guards in the swimming pool. i have a feeling that this happens often
- i just walked into a room at this party and someone yelled “dibs!”…
- i got kicked out of Barns and Nobles cuz i put all the bibles in the fiction section
- my math teacher staples burger king applications to failed tests
- Renamed my iPod as ‘the titantic’ so when I plug it in it’s says ‘the titantic is syncing.’
- just gave a yankee’s fan wrong directions to Fenway….welcome to boston asshole
- so the guy behind me in court for my DUI hearing got a DUI on a lawnmower at 1AM…he is my new hero
- Just saw actual Chinese people doing a Chinese firedrill. Good day.